to Enhance Career Opportunities
The Professional Learning Centre (PLC) provides high quality professional development and support for HTMi students. The team supports, encourages and equips students for their career through the provision of career development services and professional development sessions designed to:
- Network and engage with current industry professionals
- Build valuable industry and peer networks
- Develop personal, professional and practical skills
- Gain significant industry insights
- Enhance their resume and strengthen their personal brand
Career Consultants offer a range of services to support students with their career preparation, including assistance with resume writing, job search activities and interview skills as well as career advice and tips. They can also assist students with researching job roles and identifying career pathways, as well as identifying their employability skills. Work Integrated Learning Consultants work with students to assist students to identify professional development activities to enhance their employability, industry knowledge and advance their professional standing within the industry.
AccorHotels and the HTMi Internship program
As one of the leading groups in the hotel industry, AccorHotels has over 4,300 hotels in 100 countries with 250,000 employees working around the globe. AccorHotels owns a diverse portfolio with over 20 brands from luxury to economy, including Sofitel, Novotel, Mercure and Ibis.
Internship is a period of observing, learning, and practicing in a business environment, where students are given the opportunity to integrate theory with the practice and responsibility of the workplace. HTMi Australia students will have the opportunity to complete their internship at an AccorHotels property within Australia, providing them with practical experience by exposing them to general systems of operation, as well as to the philosophies and aims of the hotel*.
Students will have the opportunity to ‘learn and earn’ through paid operational roles within the Food & Beverage, and Housekeeping departments. Opportunities to gain experience within non-operational roles will also be available within the Human Resources, Revenue, Sales & Marketing, and Finance departments in an unpaid capacity. Current rates of pay for operational roles range from $23.64 to $28.37** per hour and on average, students can earn $11,000 over the internship period.
*Subject to completion of internship placement pre-requisites.
**These figures have been taken from the Hospitality Industry (General) Award 2010.
PLC Professional Development Sessions
The PLC offers sessions which includes professional development courses, industry visits, workshops, industry guest speakers, and is constantly striving to provide new and exciting opportunities. These sessions are presented each semester of the teaching calendar via the ‘Professional Learning Centre Menu’ and include:
- Leadership speaker series and industry panels: students gain access to industry leaders through guest speakers who share their insights and industry knowledge
- Winery tour: students learn from professional wine makers how wine is made
- Career Essentials course: students learn how to maximise their professional presence via online platforms, in person, and through current industry recruitment practices
- Networking: students learn some tips on how to network and put them into practice when they meet with and learn from industry professionals over lunch
- RSA course: Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) certification, permitting students to work in a licensed premises
- Industry insights: field trips to gain insights into working in the Tourism and Hospitality industry